Thursday, November 6, 2008

Things Are Good Again

Things are good again from not only an American perspective, but a worldly perspective. Yesterday, I called in sick, made a good ol' American breakfast and watched attentively, on my computer for the results of the Presidential race. Every state that turned blue, myself, Jared, and a friend from our apartment building cheered. Only 100 more... only 60 more... only 20 more! Then finally! FINALLY! the announcement was made that Barack Husein Obama would be the next president of the United States of America! I made mimosas with cheap champagne, Soju (rice vodka) and orange juice and we celebrated! Damn I wish I was in Chicago still...

As I watched his acceptance speech, like many people around the world, I cried. What a historic day. I stared at the computer screen in a state of euphoric shock. This is really happening! He really did it! Bush is really almost OVER!

It was a shame to be across the world during the wonderful day. There were no masses celebrating here, no celebrations to attend, and only one person to hug with extreme joy. Korea, is considered one of the most nationalistic countries in the world. They pride themselves in taxing American products heavily to promote their own development. Therefore, most Koreans are scared that their economy will suffer more, because Obama wants to make the taxing and trading even on both sides. Right now, products exported from Korea are freely shipped to the US, and on the return are taxed atleast 25%. The new concept is much more fair, but Korea doesn't like it.

Only one person at school today said "Congratulations, we will have world peace again". No one else has mentioned the election at all. In passing, I hear "Obama blah blah blah blah" in words that I can not understand... It is interesting to be in a place, probably one of the only places in this world, at the moment, that is less than thrilled with the news.

I am proud to say I voted, I am proud to say Barack Obama is my new President, and I am proud to travel this world knowing that things will get better.

I wish I could share this wonderful time with you all... we'll have to celebrate when I get back!

No comments: