Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Full moon or Yoga?


After leaving the land of Lanta, Jared and Jason took off on their way back to the land of kimchi.  I on the other hand, got two more weeks of paradise and was off to another island.  I was set to go to Koh Phangan via Koh Samui to meet a couple friends for a popular festival.  This was my first experience traveling solo, and an adventure at that.  

I left the boys and got on a bus to Sura thani.  I was going to stay the night, but as I got off the bus I realised that there moving on would be a better option.  Actually, no one on the bus was actually staying in Sura Thani for the night.  So,  I decided to follow suit and take the ferry over to Koh Samui.  This is one of the bigger islands and had all the luxuries of the main land.   So, there would be no problem finding a place to stay.  I arranged a place with a recruiter from the ferry and found out the 1 hour boat ride was actually many more hours.  Therefore, I would be arriving at night.  This was not part of my plan.  So, I arrived on the island and quickly took a taxi to my new resting place.  

A cute little old lady, who looked to be over 100 years old took me to a very mediocre bungalow off the path from a construction site.  She said that I could upgrade to a much nicer one if I would stay more than one night.  But, my mind was made up I was going to Koh Pangang the next day.  The next, day I walked around and realized I really was in the middle of a massive construction site.  This bungalow was cheap for a reason.  I got to the main road and saw that Koh Samui wasn't paradise at all, but just looked like any other city.  I walked, and walked and walked... and just came upon dirty street after street.  I think I was staying on the wrong side of the island, but I was very unimpressed compared to my high standards from Koh Lanta.  

I got on the ferry to Koh Phangan and prepared to find a bungalow for the "full moon festival".  On the ferry I ran into some fellow ESL teachers from Korea who actually knew and worked with my close friend.  I got off the Ferry and proceeded to make my way to the part of the island close to the festivities.  I met a young guy, from Australia, who had just started out on a trip traveling the world for a year or more.  This was the first part of the trip and he asked if he could follow me to find a bungalow.  I said sure and laughed a little that I looked like the seasoned traveler...  little did he know that I had no idea what I was doing.  So, we walked and walked and walked and walked and everything seemed to be full.  It was getting dark and I was getting nervous.  

Then, we walked into the main office of a resort and asked if they had any rooms, sure enough, they were full.  Outside of the office were 2 guys with beers parked in beach chairs.  They asked if I needed a bungalow.  They said their friend had disappeared and now they had an extra one that they would like to get rid of.  They ended up being from San Diego and very interesting and helpful.  I took them up on their offer and ended up staying as their neighbor for 5 days.  I have no idea what happened to the Aussie...

After 2 days my friend Ellen and her friend Kali met us at the bungalow.  This bungalow had the biggest mattress I had ever seen so sleeping 3 girls in one room was very comfortable and very cheap!  We hung out on the beach, ate delicious falafel and had a grand ol' time.  

The "full mood festival" is known for being a massive party on a beautiful turquoise water beach.  Ellen really wanted to go for some dancing, and I enjoy people watching so I agreed.  It was a beautiful night and great people watching.  Still, I was rather shell shocked after being totally relaxed on Koh Lanta.  This island was like being thrown into  a "spring break" situation.  It was not my cup of tea.  

After the festival I hightailed it to a different part of the island to a resort called the Sanctuary.  The Sanctuary was a yoga and health retreat where I hoped to get back some of my peace of mind.  It was a hippy getaway with a vegetarian menu and all of the zen you could imagine.  They didn't even have an ATM machine... which posed to be a problem with all of the delicious food.  

Anyways, the next week was great.  Ellen and I shared a bungalow and we read and sat by the beach during the day.  Most of our time was spent deciding what delicious food we would eat next.  I spoke to a man who was a "Light healer" who developed his own form of "Light Therapy" who was married to a textile artist.  I met an Australian Fireman who was there for some yoga lessons.  I also enjoyed spending time with an English DJ who was there getting away from his "crazy" ex-girlfriend, and another English girl who was a herbalist who was traveling for an indefinite amount of time.  The group of people there were interesting and of a different mind set than the average Joe.  It was very refreshing.  

After 5 days at The Sanctuary I left totally happy and relaxed.  I was thrilled to end my trip away from the craziness of the "full moon party" but also self assured that I was able to function as a solo traveler.  It was time to go back to Bangkok and take the flight home to the ROK.  

Just be warned...  when leaving a developing country... make sure you have a little extra money to give the customs people if they feel like they can take advantage of you.  There's really nothing you can do if they insist that you owe their government money.  Luckily, my friend Jimmy was at the airport standing in line when I was told I owed the government of Thailand 4,500 baht = $100 for over staying my visa... (which I didn't).  I was removed from costumes and told to find the money... or?  I'm not sure...  So... I feel very lucky to have good Karma and good friends who can pull me out of situations like that.  

Customs aside, Thailand was an AMAZING place and I suggest everyone should go there.  I have never felt so relaxed or have experienced so many sides to paradise.   

Mom-  We're going to take a trip there in a year or two... and I'm not taking no for an answer.  

No comments: