Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sushi or Kimbop?


I was lucky enough to take 5 days and travel to Tokyo to visit Kayoko Okasan (Okasan= mother).  It was not only a wonderful trip to see Tokyo, but even more worthwhile to spend time with people who not only knew my family, but felt like my family.  Being away from home for 9 months now, I have gone through many difficult home sick spells.  It was so relaxing and invigorating to be with people whom I could relate to on a level I have been without for so long.  

Okasan met me at the airport and we got on a bus to her home.  Even though we had only met briefly long ago, there was no dwindle in conversation, and I felt very comfortable arriving in a new place.  We arrived the train station and were picked up in the car by Otosan (father).  I was then taken to their house where Okasan made a wonderful dinner of pork, fish, and other deep fried goodies.  We relaxed on the couch and I talked with the family about life in Korea and the simulates between Japan and their neighbor.  It was a splendid night that ended in a traditional Japanese bath and sleeping on a tatami mat in the guest room.  I have never slept so well on the floor as I did the nights I was at their house.  

The next couple days we saw numerous temples and shrines.  It was very interesting to compare the aesthetics of Korean traditionalism to the Japanese.  So much was different yet very similar. Korean paint all of their temples with figures and designs and in bright green, red, and blues.  The Japanese connect as much with nature as possible so most of the natural wood is exposed and very well taken care of.  The temples and Shrines gave me a feeling of peace.  Seeing the zen gardens and the ways that the buildings really connected with nature was really inspiring.  Nothing looked odd, or artificial.  Everything seemed as though it was meant to be there from the beginning of time.

One morning we woke up early and went to the fish market.  One of the things I miss most in Korea is good Sushi.  One would think that there would be sushi available in Korea... but that is one more thing Koreans and Japanese do not share.  In Korea we have something called "kim-bop".  which looks like sushi, but is a mixture of crab, kimchi, spam, and tuna?  I'm not really sure and it changes depending on who makes it.  Fresh fish is not an option in kimbop and therefore, not even comparable to sushi.   Kimbop is good, if you are expecting kimbop... not if you want sushi.  So,  going to the fish market in Tokyo to have fresh sushi was a party in my mouth.  In Chicago I used to go out to eat sushi at least once every 2 weeks... and the quality wasn't the greatest.  This sushi was melt in your mouth, close your eyes and savor the moment type sushi.... SOooooo gooooood!

One morning I woke up and went to a tennis lesson with Otosan at his tennis club.  I was a little nervous seeing as my tennis ability has been laughed at many times, but everyone assured me I would be with people of the same level.  So, I went to a beginner tennis lesson with a bunch of middle aged Japanese women, and we attempted to play tennis for an hour or so.  Like I was told, everyone was of my similar ability, so we just spent most of our time laughing at our inability to hit the ball properly.  It was a great time.  They were very interested about my experience in Korea and even though none of them spoke English we managed to communicate perfectly.  Body language is great.  

The next couple days Okasan and I spent walking around and shopping.  There was so much to look at.  We also went to the Yokohama Expo on opening day.  It was really interesting to see the old buildings and harbor left over from the war.  At the festival we saw a giant mechanical spider that was controlled by 5 men that sat in it's underbelly.   We saw a massive balloon which turned into a projection of the earth which was really cool, and a bunch of really cool technology.  I just enjoyed walking around and looking at everything.  

The last day of my visit, we went to an art museum to see some wood block prints and a painting exhibit.  Then we did a little more souvenir shopping and had lunch.  I really enjoyed just spending time with Kayoko.  Everything was so comfortable and easy.  I was sad to leave.  But, Dong Peong Boys school wouldn't know what to do without me... So I had to board the 2 hour bus ride back to the airport and head back to Busan.  I still found it crazy how after an hour and a half flight I was in a different country.  It was a wonderful experience and I hope to go back again soon!  

Thank you Kayoko Okasan!  

No comments: