Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Culture shock and some conclusions

Being an English teacher in Korea, it's very easy to sink in to the "easy life". It's easy to settle for an easy job, with minimal responsibility, where everyone tells you what to do, and your supervisors expect the bare minimum. It's easy to accept your provided living conditions, cheap food, cheap night life, and the assumption that every other non-Korean person you see is also in the same boat as you are. I'm speaking of the generalisation that I have, after living in Busan for 10 months. I am speaking specifically of the public school teachers, and I understand that working in a hogwon (private academy) has many more hours and much more work either physically, or emotionally. There are also the public school jobs in the international schools that treat their native speaking teachers as "real" teachers and if that person is up for the responsibility and extra work, then it's a really good job, and a great opportunity. Respectfully though, those jobs are far and few between, and total luck of the draw. The whole public school system is the luck of the draw and one just has to hope to not get the short stick of the bunch. The majority of my friends and acquaintances have very pleasant working environments, and enjoy their school. A handful of friends, including myself, feel as though we are not being pushed, challenged, or have enough responsibility to grow as educators.

This may seem harsh, insulting, or closed minded. It's just how I feel, and that I believe being an ESL teacher in Korea is not a job for me. I came here from a very busy life, doing everything and anything that I was passionate about and loved with out a doubt. With no regrets I say that I am not engaged, nor have I found anything that sits with me in the same way here, but I am absolutely happy and pleased that I made the decision to come to Korea. I have my whole life to experience and make art and develop lessons for teaching art, this is the only time when I am able to put my passions to the side, and experience something that I am unsure of, and or might hate completely. So, I'm happy I came.

I think this is the perfect job for most people. People who are looking for a good paying job, with a great community, with a support group of people who have the same job as they do. People who love to travel and have very little responsebility durring their work day. In theory, it is a great job! People who are out going and like experiencing new things. But mostly, people who don't have much to go back to.

Another issue I have dealt with this year is the prolonged culture shock that inherently comes and goes with living abroad for the first time. Here is a mini explanation of how the last 10 months have affected my emotional and psychological status.



Month 1: The initial shock- Day to day life was exciting, and my senses were overload trying to process everything happening around me. I loved it. I loved walking around I loved talking to new people, I loved everything. Went to the beach, museums, just explored the city. Basically felt like vacation.



Month 2: Things settled down - I got the hang of my job, and realized how easy it really was. I started to make new friends and get my barrings around the city. I still liked it a lot. But, life seemed slower.



Month 3: Things started to go down hill - I realised that I had no real responsibility at my job and they did't care if I went in and played a movie, sang a song, danced a jig, or actually taught a lesson. I realised my invisibility at the school - unless there was a problem, or that I was part of the "token white person" show. I started to feel claustrophobic.



Month 4-6: One day at a time - I tried to make the best of things, but I was in withdrawal from making art, teaching art, and missed my family and friends. I really knew that I did't like teaching English, and the boys at the school treated me like a circus act. I missed running outside and riding my bike for transportation. I felt very claustrophobic and couldn't wait for a vacation. I was not a very nice person to be around and I feared that I was pushing people away.



Month 6-8: Vacation - Thailand and Cambodia were the perfect medicine for my depression. I needed new adventure, beach, sun, and to see new things. Without the vacation time, I think I would have left earlier. I don't think I could have made it with out the 2 months off. I understand that this is a huge privilege and the last couple months of misery became worth while.

Month 8-10: Light at the end of the tunnel- When I came back from Thailand I didn't go out of the apartment for 3 days. I was very depressed and hated being back in Korea. Then, I joined the gym, went to my pottery studio, and made a point to go out with friends. Slowly, through my extracurricular activities life became better. It became very apparent to me that there are things in life I can not sacrifice or I become a miserable depressed person. Running, making art, ceramics, and having girl friends are some of the things that I missed very much. It was worth the effort and extra expense to seek out these outlets.

Another thing that made these months extra wonderful was the installation of my own English classroom. Up on the 5th floor of my school, where no one goes. It became the "Funglish Zone". A place where I can have peace and quite and an escape from the teachers cubical room. I love the new classroom and I can trick myself into thinking that I am a real teacher again. All of this reaffirms that I need certain things in my life, and that I have to strive to always have them.

There are things that I love about Busan. I love the public transportation system. I love the weather. I love the friendly people, who will go out of their way to help you and are always very interested in you. People are very rarely rude. I love how easy most things are. I love how cheap it is to live here. Also, I love the mountains and how hiking and fitness is a big part of many peoples lives, no matter how old they are.

I have had such a great year here, but it has been very difficult at the same time. If I could relive this year again, I would do some things differently but I would defiantly do it again. I wouldn't have given this year up for another year in Chicago, because Chicago and every other city will always be there for me when I am ready for it. I think I have changed a lot this year and my understanding of other cultures has been broadened more than I can explain. It will be very exciting to finally find a job teaching art, and be able to inspire and speak about my journeys to my students. I will have had first hand experience at working in a Ceramics studio in Korea, and witnessed crafts in Cambodia, Thailand, and Japan. I have seen a side of life that most Americans can not even imagine. I would not go back on this year if I could.

I am excited to move on, but mostly I am proud of myself that I took the leap and came to the other side of the world and had these experiences. I am excited to find my art again, and be part of a working studio where people are living in the present and thinking in the moment to make something they care about. I am excited to bring art to children and teenagers and teach them about what I am passionate about. Now, I can bring my cross cultural experiences to good use and hopefully inspire young artists in more ways than before.

No comments: