Thursday, October 9, 2008

The risky game of "side walk chicken"



It's a strange feeling to acknowledge that living in Korea has suddenly lost it's shock appeal. Suddenly life has become just life and work just work.  There's few new daily discoveries and sleeping takes precident over exploring a new neighborhood or market.  It's funny that in as little as a month, such a foreign culture can become home, and a new apartment can be considered comfortable.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still having a blast, and I like my new comfortable routine.  But, it's hard to imagine becoming comfortable in a foreign place until you actually do it.  

On my 25 minute walk home from school (straight up a mountain), I frequently think about comparisons between living in Chicago and living in Busan.  I think about all of the things that were great about Chicago, and then try and compare them to my new life.  Here is a list of those thoughts that have crossed my mind:

1.  Friendly people:
People in Busan are some of the most friendly people I have ever met in my life.  They may stare at you, but the harder they stare the more they would like to talk to you.  It's been told to me that Busan (being a southern most city) is like the friendly south of the USA.  It emanates "southern hospitality" and wholesome values.  The fellow foreigners I meet are also SUPER friendly, but of a different accord.  There are 2 kinds of non-Koreans here.  People who are lookin
g for an adventure, and people who can not function in their home country for one reason or another.  Therefore, when meeting people, it's rather easy to pick out the travelers from the people who are..... lets say ... more than a little "off".  All in all, I have met some wonderful, genuine and interesting people.

2.  Public Transportation: 
I had always admired cities with great public transportation systems.  While living in Chicago, I was not dependant upon the public transport, so it took me longer to form the attitude that most patrons of the CTA(Chicago Transit Authority) acquire.  As I became more reluctant to use my car, I realized that the bitching and whining I heard daily about the system, was accurate, and the CTA was less than convenient.  Waiting 20-45 minutes for a bus seemed unacceptable, and no one ever knew when that next train was coming by.  
Here in Busan, there are buses that run strange, but very frequent routes, and I have never waited more than 5 minutes for one.  That is the same for the subway.  The subway is known to be the cleanest and one of the best run subway systems in the world.  It's quiet, clean, steady, and a train comes every 5 minutes.  It starts and stops SO accurately that there are specific gates where the doors open and close.  Therefore, the drivers have to make sure the doors open at precisely the correct spot.  WOW~  Chicago you have a lot to improve upon!  

3.  Sidewalk etiquette:
A mystery here in Busan is the way Koreans walk.  Whether it's the sidewalk, in an alley, at a mall, in a hall way, or any other walkable area, it is unknown whether there is logic behind their motions, or if they are just holding their ground thereby protecting their territory.  When I first got here, I was walking down the street and thought to myself, "I wonder which side of the street should i walk on"  I was thinking this because there are 1/2 dividing lines on most of their paths, so naturally I would assume that if you are going in one direction you walk on the right side, and the other direction the left.  NOT SO>   There is no correct way to walk down the street, and no rule, etiquette or common habit.  

Here's an example:
You are walking down the street.  You have the whole sidewalk to yourself.  (it's a big sidewalk)  Then, in the distance, you see a man walking towards you.  Out of common sense you pick a side of the path to walk on, so the man can comfortably pass you.  At this point, the man refuses to move out of the way, continues to walk either in the middle of the path, or barge directly into you. Thus, leaving you with no other choice, but to quickly move to another but much more uncomfortable direction, or even into the street.  

While walking in a mall, woman and men alike, do NOT move out of the way when they are walking towards you.  They will not adjust their line of direction.  They will make eye contact with you and allow you to think that they see you coming, and that they should compromise on how to walk by each other.  But, that is just not the case.   Lesson learned...  While walking anywhere in Korea,  it is a constant game of sidewalk "chicken".  One has to be constantly on allert to who's going to step on their foot, knock them with a large purse, or just shoulder chekc them into a wall.  I am unsure whether it is a common trait, or a threat against foreigners.  Either way, while walking in Korea, be prepared to get pushed, knocked into, or move out of the way!  I never thought I'd miss the Chicago sidewalks.... but I do!

3.  Access to THINGS:
One thing that I miss significantly is being able to want something, and then going to get it.  I love being independent and self-sufficient.  But, here in Korea, little tasks such as buying groceries is significantly difficult.  The first time I went grocery shopping I spent WAY too much time just staring at bottles and packages looking for a trace of English.  Sometimes I end up buying stuff, just because it has some English words on it to allow me to distinguish what it might be.  I realize that that is part of the deal while living in a foreign country... but it's hard that a trip to the grocery store will leave you with a headache from staring at the packages too long, and not the food you intended to buy.  

4.  Great City:
I loved Chicago because it is a great city!  I love the busy-ness, the hubbub, and the fact that it never sleeps.  In Chicago I had access to everything, and opportunities seemed easy to come by.  Here, the city is wonderful.  Bars don't seem to close.... ever, people are always out and about, and if I knew the language I'm sure things would be much easier to come upon.  Even the pristine subway is never crowded enough that you feel claustrophobic.  Both cities are awesome places to live!  I am super happy that I have had the opportunity to say that I have lived in both of them.

Those are just a few things that come to mind when comparing Chicago to Busan.  All in all, both are amazing places and I feel truly blessed to have the opportunity to have lived in them.  I have more to come about my thoughts.  

Including:  

Fashion- The country of Socks and Sandles, 
Food- Spicy, fishy or both?, 
Manners- I will sneeze in your face, step on your toe, and push by you without saying "excuse me", 

and many many more subjects that may culturally surprise you!  

All is well!  

 

1 comment:

Larry said...

Side Walk Chicken is so funny! You need to ask the natives about that.